Thursday, July 20, 2023

Bussey (1)

One of the most monumental collections of fables is this book by G. Moir Bussey: Fables, Original and Selected, and, as the subtitle explains, these are fables "by the most esteemed European and Oriental authors." There are 575 fables here, making it the next biggest English Aesop that I've found (the biggest English  Aesop so far, I'm proud to say, is still my Oxford World's Classics book, which has 600 fables). Of course, by the time I finish this project, I'll have an Aesop with thousands of fables in English.

Here are some fables transcribed from Bussey:


THE FALCON AND THE HEN
Different circumstances make the same action right or wrong, a virtue or a vice. 
"Of all the creatures I ever knew," said a falcon to a hen, "you are certainly the most ungrateful."
"What instance of ingratitude," replied the hen, "can you justly charge upon me?"
"The greatest," returned the falcon; "ingratitude to your highest benefactors, men. Do they not feed you every day, and shelter you every night? Nevertheless, when they endeavour to court you to them, you ungratefully forget all their kindness, and fly from them as from an enemy. Now I, who am wild by nature, and no way obliged to them; yet upon the least of their caresses, I suffer myself to be taken, and go or come at their command." 
"All this is very true," replied the hen, "but there may be sufficient reason both for my fear and your familiarity: I believe you never saw a single falcon roasting at the fire; whereas, I have seen a hundred hens trussed for that purpose."


THE WOLF AND THE SHEPHERD
A shepherd lost the whole of his flock by a dreadful contagion. The wolf, hearing of it, came to condole with him. 
"Shepherd," said he, "is it true that thou hast met with so severe a misfortune, and art deprived of thy whole flock? So amiable, pious a flock! I feel for thee, and could shed tears of blood." 
"Many thanks, master Wolf;" said the shepherd. "I see thou hast a heart brimful of compassion." 
"Indeed, he has," added the shepherd's dog, "wherever he suffers in person by his neighbour's misfortune."


THE WOLF, THE FOX, AND THE APE
A wolf one day demanded judgment against a neighbouring fox, for larceny. The cause was argued in the court of Mr. Justice Ape by the parties in person; and, as may be judged from their characters, though no lawyers were employed, the question was one of the most entangled and intricate that had ever been brought before the bench for decision.
When the litigants had exhausted both themselves and their arguments, the Judge, well acquainted with the knavery of each, pronounced sentence as follows: 
"My friends, I have known you both for some time; and, wishing to temper justice with mercy, shall inflict on each an equal penalty. On you, Mr. Wolf, because you complain without having sustained any injury, and on you, Renard, as without doubt you have committed the theft you are accused of."
The ape dismissed the court with this profound remark, that "Whether right or wrong, there could be no injustice in punishing rogues."



THE NIGHTINGALE AND THE PEACOCK
A sociable nightingale found amongst the songsters of the grove, plenty who envied her, but no friend. "Perhaps," thought she, "I may find one in another species," and flew confidingly to the peacock. 
"Beautiful peacock! I admire thee."
"And I thee, lovely nightingale!"
"Then let us be friends," continued the nightingale; "we shall not be envious of each other; thou art as pleasing to the eye as I to the ear."
The nightingale and the peacock became friends.


JUPITER AND THE HORSE
"Father of man and beast," said the horse, approaching the throne or Jupiter, "it is said that I am one of the noblest of the creations with which you have adorned the world, and my vanity bids me believe it. But do you not think my form still capable of improvement?"
"And what dost thou suppose would improve thee? Speak; I am open to instruction," said the gracious deity, smiling. 
"Perhaps," continued the horse, "I should have more speed if my legs were longer and more slender; a long swan-like neck would add to my beauty; a broader chest would increase my strength; and, once for all, since you have destined me to carry your favourite, man, it might be as well if the saddle, which the benevolent horseman supplies me with, were a part of my being. 
"Good," pursued Jupiter; "have patience a moment!" and, with a solemn air, the God spake the word of creation. The dust became animated, organized matter was combinedm and suddenly stood before the throne, the frightful CAMEL. 
The horse saw, shuddered, and trembled from excessive disgust. 
"Here are longer and more slender legs," said Jove; "here is a long swan-like neck; a broader chest; a ready created saddle! Dost thou desire to be endowed with a similar form?" 
The horse still trembled. "Go," continued the deity, "and this time the admonition shall suffice without the addition of punishment. To remind thee occasionally, however, of thy audacity, this new creation shall continue to exist!" Then, casting a sustaining glance upon the camel, Jove continued, "and the horse shall never perceive thee without fear and trembling."


No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts. You can also email me at laurakgibbs@gmail.com or find me at Twitter, @OnlineCrsLady.